Here are a few great tips that we have read about on how to keep your houseplants healthy! Tell us what you think!
1. Purchase a water meter. It really helps especially in winter not to over water your potted indoor plants. It includes information about water requirements on special plants and helps to keep the water levels correct. There is nothing worse for indoor plants than to over water or under water. Get it right from the get-go!
2. Place the plants near a indoor tabletop fountain or below some under cabinet lights. Especially important for potted plants that flower constantly like African Violets. Ferns and orchids appreciate the extra humidity as well. This is a great idea for apartments with too few windows.
3. Top your potted plants with pine cones or faux rocks. It helps the soil to retain the moisture and keeps your house cats from digging in the soil. Both cats and potted houseplants stay healthy.
4. Take the time to give your potted houseplants a shower in the Spring and Fall. Wash the leaves on both sides.
5. If root ball becomes dense and water doesn't penetrate, use knitting needles to poke holes down into the soil so the water penetrates down into the roots and doesn't sit on top. Fill saucers with rocks and water and then sit the pot on top. That way they aren't standing in water but using the water as a humidifier.