When it comes to designing a garden there are many things to consider. However, the top tips are creating something that makes you smile, is easy to maintain and easy to implement. If creating this oasis isn't fun and enjoyable then what is the point. You don't need a garden area right? but you want one. So, keep it simple and follow these easy tips.
1. All enough room. If you are limiting yourself to your patio area make sure there is room for entertaining. Don't fill up every corner! Keep an area for dining and sun bathing. Open spaces create a feel of more space even in small areas.
2. Plan for growth. When selecting plants and containers make sure they won't take over the area your planning on spending time in. Having a dense look is nice but not necessary.
3. Keep all pathways open and uncluttered. Make sure that any plant materials or potted containers you set next to your walkways won't obstruct the path. This can be dangerous and uncomfortable for walking on.
4. Watch your over hang. If you use a gazebo or archway and cover it with plants make sure there is a height minimum of 7 feet. This give room for plant growth and head space.
5. If you love grass or have a pet, make sure there is at least a small patch of lawn. This is fun for games, animals and visual effect. You can even pot grass if you have a balcony or deck area only. We love grass in a long rectangular planter.
6. Create comfort. Use art, birdbaths, statuary and other objects to create a decorative and personal touch to the garden area. Large planters standing empty are lovely. Statues tucked under large bushes or under a tree are nice added touches.
7. Use plant materials that you love that add color, or fragrance. Make them your favorites and ones you love to look at and enjoy. Make sure to use some evergreens so that there is color and ornamental's available year round.